Built in 1960 and designed by renowned Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen, who also designed the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Hill College House recently completed a 15-month-long, $80 million renovation.
The five-story brick residence, originally a women’s dormitory, preserves Saarinen’s revolutionary vision for communal living with multiple public spaces at varying physical and social scales.
In this edition of By The Numbers, the Current tours the refreshed and refurbished Hill College House
|1889||Year in which Robert C. Hill, the House’s namesake, graduated from Penn. His gift enabled the University to purchase the land where the building resides. The building was renamed in his honor in 1965.|
|400+||Number of windows in the building that were removed, restored, and refitted.|
|195,000||Amount of square feet in the residence hall.|
|161||Number of gender-neutral bathrooms in the building.|
|19||Number of atrium lounges in Hill. The House has more than a dozen different types of lounges to promote social activity.|
|500||Number of students, mostly freshmen, that reside in Hill. It is one of Penn’s largest College Houses.|
|95||Percent of non-hazardous construction debris that was salvaged and recycled.|
|261||Number of student rooms in the building. There are 206 doubles, 41 singles, 11 ADA singles, and three resident assistant singles.|